5.15.2010

summer reading list


when i was a kid, my best friend and i used to ride our bikes to the library weekly (if not multiple times) searching for books to fill our summer days. i'm not talking a small bike ride either - it was at least 4 miles each way. we would spend HOURS exploring the shelves, searching for a sweet valley high book we hadn't read four times yet. 

we would load our books into bags, load bags onto handlebars, and carefully strike a balance that would carry us home. i know my love of reading goes wayyyy back, but i know my love of summer reading is tied to those trips.

after completing my first year of graduate school, i was beyond ready to start my summer reading. my chosen material may have matured over the years - but my giddy excitement remains the same. some of the books i'd been saving, some of them just caught my eye, and some of them had been calling my name for almost a year now. finally - i can read what i want, when i want, however i want.

here's what's in store:
1. Loose Girl, Kerry Cohen
2. This is Why You're Fat, Jackie Warner
3. Wasted, Marya Hornbacher
4. Spoken from the Heart, Laura Bush
5. One Fifth Avenue, Candace Bushnell
6. Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto, Chuck Klosterman

the list will be much longer as time goes on, but this is a good start. i've already finished Loose Girl (which was shocking and gripping and wonderful) and will post a review later on. as i read each book, i'll share my thoughts. happy summer reading!

2 comments:

  1. I read Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs on the beach in Destin over Spring Break 2008. The book is hilarious and a super fast read. Considering your sense of humor, you'll die laughing! My summer reading consists of an LSAT prep book, lucky me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had my eye on that book for sooo long. I'm finally going to read it...glad you gave it a good review. LSAT?!?! When did this come about? That's really exciting!

    ReplyDelete